The Coast Wildlife Project recently announced a new program which will give ten landowners an opportunity to improve their shoreline habitat. Native shoreline vegetation can help beautify property, improve habitat for diverse wildlife species, prevent erosion, improve water quality and maintain the health of aquatic ecosystems. 

The program is for Sunshine Coast residents, landowner groups, or conservation groups living in, or acting as stewards of, freshwater or marine waterfront properties. Eligible properties will be limited to those with existing shoreline damage or degradation, those with little to no native shoreline vegetation, or those with pollution and/or erosion problems.

The project goals are: (i) to improve the quality of Sunshine Coast shoreline habitats in areas where these
habitats have been damaged, and (ii) to inspire and empower community members to value, protect, care for,
restore, and enhance shoreline habitats program. The program consists of three steps:

Site Visit: A shoreline advisory specialist will meet with the landowner on their property for a free consultation to assess eligibility, take measurements and photographs of the shoreline, offer advice, and discuss how the landowner needs can be merged with the concepts of shoreline naturalization and opportunities for habitat enhancement for specific wildlife species.

Site Plan: Based on the shoreline visit, CWP will develop and present a shoreline planting plan for the property that incorporates  land use needs with the principles of shoreline naturalization, customised planting plan including the photos from the site visit day, with a descriptive list of native shrubs and trees suitable for the soil and light conditions on the property.

Planting:  Planting will be scheduled for the spring of 2015. CWP will take care of ordering and delivering the native shrubs and trees, and carrying out all of the planting with the assistance of community volunteers. Project costs will be subsidized by 75%, and landowners will contribute only the remaining 25% of the total costs. Included in the total project costs are: plants, soil, mulch, tree guards, delivery,shipping and handling of plant stock, and the planting plan.

In addition, landowners will be encouraged to sign voluntary landowner stewardship agreements and to take direct action to improve the quality of their shoreline habitat. The Project will also conduct a public education and engagement program to inform community members about shoreline habitats, ecologically sound shoreline living, and shoreline habitat restoration, enhancement, and naturalization principles and techniques. The comprehensive program will include presentations, workshops, events, children’s programs, outreach tables, shoreline clean-ups, and the production of resource materials including interpretive
signs, landowner shoreline stewardship guides, brochures and online resources.

Interested landowners with waterfront properties on the Sunshine Coast are invited to participate in this program.
There is funding in place to improve 10 properties in the spring of 2015. All properties will be selected before the end of February 2015. Sign up now to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity! Please contact Dave at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 604-989-1007. For more information please visit or