The 3rd annual Edible Garden Tour is this Sunday, September 2. You can visit local gardens and small farms to learn what is growing in our community. The Gibsons tour is from 9 am to 12 pm and the Roberts Creek to Halfmoon Bay tour is from 1 to 4 pm.
Gibsons 9am - 12pm
1. Green Room Organics, 785 Henry Road At the foot of Mt. Elphinstone, specializes in greenhouse vegetables and features over 3,000 m2 offield fresh vegetables and berries. Owned andoperated by Linda Fogarty and Gabriel Forbes, Green Room is one of only four Certified Organic farms on the lower Sunshine Coast. Green Room sells fresh at farm gate, local farmers. www.greenroomorganics.ca.
2.Backyard Bounty, 714 Henry Road We grow 75 or more varieties of seasonal organic vegetables each year. Our produce is sold at our farm stand located on the corner of Henry and Russell roads and through The Gibsons Farm Collective. We are dedicated to the restoration of wholesome, locally grown food. Operated by Dawn & Paul Myers. www.backyardbountygibsons.com
3.Three Sisters Farm, 1520 Burton Road On our small Organic Farm we grow vegetables, herbs, berries and flowers. We also keep a variety of livestock -laying hens, dairy goats, pigs and honeybees. In addition to farm produce and eggs we sell artisan baked goods and preserves at our farmgate stand as well at local Farmers Markets.
4.Artists in Residence B&B Garden 1881 Grandview Road, Elphinstone Glass Artists David New-Small & Dyan Vidulich are constantly converting their ocean view property to sustainable food production, using only non-GMO seeds. Dyan has been growing varieties of heritage tomatoes from self-saved seeds for 15 years, passing seedlings on to fellow coasters every spring to keep those varieties going. Our other veggies include asparagus, garlic, summer & winter squash, fennel, beans, peppers, broccoli, beets &herbs, and all kinds of fruit. Look for our "Glass in the Garden"sign. Directions: Down Pine Rd. @ the intersection of Lower Rd. & Hwy. 101 right at the border of Roberts Creek & Gibsons. www.artistsinresidencebb.com
Roberts Creek 1pm - 4pm
1. Annette and Nicholas Clarke 2546 Miles Road Easter Egg Farm is located at 2546 Miles Road in lower Roberts Creek. It is a sunny 3 acre organic farm with ocean view, pasture, lots of heritage chickens, a llama,fruit trees and vegetable gardens. We just started last year and lots of changes happened in this short time period. We are raising our own heritage breeds with our broody hens and have about 50 chickens right now. About 1 acre is a grass field for making hay, and will be planted with fruit trees. Our 1/2 acre garden area has potatoes, herbs, beans, peas, blueberries, etc, Turn down Joe Rd from the highway, and turn right on Miles road (gravel). We have a tall cedar gate and a sign. Phone: 604 886 1712 if you have any questions.
2. Heart Gardens Downtown Roberts Creek This Village Repair Permaculture site features over200 species of perennial food and medicine plantsused traditionally by the Coastal First Peoples, compost and vermiculture site, community gardens, food micro-forest and gardens containing hundredsof species of food plants. Free maps with plant listsprinted by the SCRD can be found in the Elfinhomeeco-education center behind Gumboot Cafe. www.gaiacraft.com -www.villagerepair.org
Wilson’s Creek 1pm - 4pm
1. Country Haven, 4196 Rocky Road “Organics and Beyond” We are a small family farm that grows food for the localcommunity with an emphasis on sustainable practices. At country Haven, we use Non-GMO Seeds saved overour 7 years or other local and organic seed. We also useas little water as possible using rainwater, drip irrigationand mulching practices. We specialize in nichevegetables -from greens to grains with our biggest crops tending to be tomatillos, Quinoa and Wheat. We also grow plants for sale as well as seed. Drivinginstructions: Follow Tyson Rd. in Wilson Creek to thevery end and turn right at the red box. To visit anothertime, call us at 604-885-4542.
Sechelt/Halfmoon Bay 1pm - 4pm
1.West Sechelt Farm Produce 5734 Mason Road, Sechelt Situated on a former strawberry farm, we specialize inorganic fruits and vegetables for the local Farmers' Markets, beginning the spring with rhubarb andgreenhouse grown greens and ending the season withkiwis. The 100 foot greenhouse provides earlyproduce and by mid season has tomatoes, pepper, basil, etc. Traditional field crops: raspberries andgooseberries, garlic and potatoes, beans and squash. Bee hives. A family operation since 1996. Site of the new Farm to school Garden. Biosecurity measures in effect.
2.Sunshine Coast Association for Community Living, 5527 Shorncliffe Ave, 5910 Turnstone, 5832 Medusa Street Three front yard gardens in downtown Sechelt. Theseare cooperative gardens planted and maintained byself -advocate and staff. Come see our small spacegardens, compost and greenhouse. For moreinformation call 604 740 6706 or 604 885 7455.
3. Gidora’s Garden, 8066 Redrooffs Road Halfmoon Bay Gidora's Garden is a family affair (3 generations). Wegrow garlic, seasonal vegetables, fruit and flowers onjust over an acre of land, mostly using the no-digmethod to promote soil health. We sell from our farmgate from May to October (have been for 16 years) and also at the Sechelt Farmers Market and the Farm Gate Market in Roberts Creek. We have chickens, ducks, and 4 small greenhouses, one being for seed starting. We save our own seeds whenever possible. We use no pesticides or herbicides of any kind anduse our own blend of organic fertilizer. We havefound hands are better than machines in our garden! Directions: Turn left at the 1st entrance to Redrooffs Rd going North on the highway, and look for us onthe right.
PLEASE NO PETS AT ANY LOCATION ! SORRY!