WELCOME TO OUR TEAM, RICHELLE!
Thanks to a grant from Service Canada, we are fortunate to have Richelle working full-time with us this summer, and you'll see her out at farmers markets, festivals and our many educational events throughout the season, sharing information on local biodiversity and encouraging our community to support conservation efforts.
Having completed third year at UBC (Combined Major in Biology, Environment, and Chemistry), Richelle is excited to work with the SCCA this summer as our student outreach coordinator. She plans to enter the field of veterinary medicine, and has been accepted into the Western College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Saskatchewan! Growing up on a horse farm on the Sunshine Coast, Richelle has always had a passion for the outdoors as well as conservation biology. In working with the SCCA, she hopes to gain a better understanding of current biodiversity issues facing our own backyard. We're excited to put her excellent skills in graphic design to use as we enhance our outreach and educational materials this summer. (Did you notice how beautiful our newsletter is looking these days? Thanks Richelle!)
SHISHALH CULTURAL AWARENESS
Left to right: Naomi Fleschhut, Jason Herz, Elin MacKinnon, Candace Campo and Nancy Denham.
GRATEFUL FOR LOCAL FUNDING
We are pleased to announce that we've recently been awarded grant funds to support our programs!
The Sunshine Coast Regional District Grant-in-Aid program will donate $2000 towards 'Our Coastal Home: Regional Biodiversity Education Program', enabling us to develop and enhance our education and outreach booth, and support our upcoming workshops and presentations on local biodiversity.
AND SPEAKING OF FUNDING ...
RAFFLE TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
We're in full swing with our raffle ticket fundraising, with our summer student and volunteers staffing our outreach booth at many farmers markets and local events throughout the next couple of months.
First prize is an Evox Electric Bike (valued at $2500), which Spin Cycles gave us a great deal on! Second prize is high-quality outdoor wear from Patrick Mark, and Third prize is an overnight getaway from West Coast Wilderness Lodge.
Please support the SCCA by buying a $10 ticket, or get 3 tickets for $20 at one of these upcoming events & locations:
- Spin Cycles Bike Shop is graciously selling our raffle tickets this year. Just drop in and ask a staff member!
- Roberts Creek Farm Gate Market - Wed June 18, 3 - 6 pm at the RC Hall
- Gibsons Landing Jazz Festival - Sat June 21, 12 - 5 pm in the Street Festival
- Gibsons Landing Sunday Market - Sun June 22, 10 am - 3 pm in Holland Park (down the hill from the Library)
- SCCA AGM - Thurs June 26, 7 - 9 pm at the Sechelt Arts Centre
- Friday Farmers Market - Fri June 27, 12 - 5 pm at the Gibsons Public Market
- Sechelt Farmers Market - Sat June 28, 9 am - 2:30 pm near the Sechelt Library
- Canada Day in Hackett Park - Tues July 1, 11:30 am - 5 pm
- and many more events throughout the summer ... stay tuned!